General provisions | History | Tasks | Activity | Documents
Centre of Hydrometeorological Service at Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan (Uzhydromet) is the state governing body specially authorized for the solution of tasks in the field of hydrometeorology in the Republic of Uzbekistan.
In Tashkent meteorological observations have been held from December 1867. From March 1870 information on weather, meteorological observations data have been published in the "Turkestan statements" newspaper (Òàshkent). In 1873 Tashkent astronomic and physical observatory began to work. In September 1876 Tashkent-observatory meteorological station was established which is still functioning.
By the beginning of XX century 11 hydrometeorological stations on the territory of Uzbekistan were established.
7 May 1921 is the official date of the establishment of Hydrometeorological Service of Uzbekistan. From 1931 Hydrometeorological Service conducts as meteorological and hydrological observations. From 1992 Hydrometeorological Service was given the status of the Main Administration of Hydrometeorology at the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan (Glavhydromet). Since April 2004 Glavhydromet was reformed to the Centre of Hydrometeorological Service at the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan (Uzhydromet).
The major objectives of Uzhydromet
- development and improvement of the state system of hydrometeorological observations;
- provision of the state administrative bodies, the sectors of economy, population and armed forces of the republic with the hydrometeorological information;
- creating and keeping the State hydrometeorological fund of data, the State fund of data on the environment pollution, State accounting of surface waters;
- coordination of all works on creating and keeping the State water inventory;
- systematic observations of air, soil, surface waters as well as appearance and development of disastrous hydrometeorological phenomena;
- scientific-research activities on improvement of short-term and long-term weather forecasts, water availability of rivers, climate change.
Activities of Uzhydromet
- collection of hydrometeorological information, its analysis and generalization;
- creation of national base of hydrometeorological and climatic data;
- development of hydrometeorological science on the basis of modern technologies;
- presenting of different types of servicing in the form of hydrometeorological forecasts and warnings for the population;
- special operational hydrometeorological servicing of agriculture, aviation, national defense and other sectors of economy;
- air, surface water (natural watercourses), soil pollution monitoring and background monitoring (data collection, processing, analysis and preparation of information), forecasting of air pollution level;
- monitoring of climate change and presentation of the approximate forecasts, às well as contribution to the assessment of its impact to the measures and variants of reaction to climate change;
- fulfilling the functions of Regional Meteorological Centre in the system of World Weather Watch of the World Meteorological Organization.
Documents regulating Uzhydromet activities
Version for printing